Sunday, March 30, 2014

Battling Crohn's - One Step at a Time

Hey guys!
It seems as if the year just began, and here we are at the end of March. A whole quarter of the new year has passed by so quickly. Time is flying! I've committed within myself to step out on the water this year. That means I'm committed to trying new adventures and daring to do what once seemed impossible for me. 

Now that I'm Crohn's free, I have such a zeal and zest for life that I never knew before! When this year started, I began to think of all the things I wanted to achieve this year. Some of those things I have already accomplished, including becoming a Health Advocate and raising ostomy and IBD awareness. Many people don't know what an ostomy is or have ever heard of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD) like Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis.

The CCFA (Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America) has a program called Team Challenge which raises much-needed funds for IBD research through half-marathons and triathlons. The runner receives endurance training in exchange for his/her fundraising efforts.

It is my goal to participate in Team Challenge this year. Yes me, the chick who can't run up a flight of stairs without stopping to gasp for breath. Obviously I need to get in shape, and I believe this is a perfect opportunity to do so (not to mention, it's for a very worthy cause). It takes courage to talk about a disease and a physical alteration that both basically involve/revolve around the same thing: Poop. Yeah ok, everybody does it but nobody really wants to talk about it. It's a part of my life that I literally cannot ignore, even if I tried. There are many that are in the same shoes.

That's why organizations like the CCFA and events like Team Challenge are so significant. While I'm working on training for Team Challenge, I'll put my focus on CCFA's annual walk-a-thon, Take Steps. This event takes place on May 10, 2014 in Philadelphia at Citizens Bank Park.

You are invited to join/support my team, The Faith Walkers - as we come together for our 5th year - to stamp out Crohn's...one step at a time. Learn more here. If you're not in the Philly area, find a CCFA chapter here. 

Lastly, I've never shown a picture of my ostomy. I just think it's important for you all to know what I'm fighting for...and why. Although my ostomy saved my life, CCFA is trying to help others just like me. We're fighting to find a cure. IBD doesn't have to end like this.
If you have any questions about this pic, just ask. 
I'm not shy. 
If I were, I certainly wouldn't have an ostomy blog ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment