Friday, January 31, 2014

Why I Blog

I wrote in my last entry that blogging was cathartic. And cathartic, it really is. However, my reasons for blogging go wayyy past catharsis. The response that I've gotten from readers has been quite wonderful. In fact, there are people that have known me for years that read my blog and then admit that there was so much they didn't know. I've even had someone to apologize to me for not being more supportive. Hey, what you don't know, you cannot be blamed for. It is just my desire now to make sure that everyone I encounter now knows of the highs and lows of living with an ileostomy.

You see, social media wasn't around a decade and a half ago when I was struggling to find out what was going on inside my body. I have lived to see major advancements, in just morale alone, in the lives of Crohn's and UC patients. People can now actually reach out into cyberspace and feel a hand reaching back. In a sense, I'm a Crohn's 'old head'. 

The web became really useful to me within the past few years. As I would research different alternative therapies and treatments, it helped so much more when I actually encountered people who had experience with the therapy and could provide feedback. I now want to give others what was given to me on those occasions: A helping hand, a listening ear, feedback, support etc FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY BEEN THERE!! Not only someone who has been there, but lived/survived to tell about it. Because the truth of the matter is, people can die from Crohn's and UC related issues. With the support of other Crohnies/UC'ers/ostomates, we literally lengthen the life expectancy. Link up with someone with an invisible disease and literally lengthen their life with your pledge of love and support. It really works!

No comments:

Post a Comment