Friday, July 4, 2014

Independence Day

July 4, 1776 - a day that represents the Declaration of Independence and the birth of the United States of America as an independent nation, hence the name Independence Day.  Ok, so it's not the date that the Declaration was signed, or the date that it was actually delivered to Great Britain. But it's the day this country's freedoms are celebrated, and that's enough for me. 

Americans commonly associate the "Fourth of July" with parades, BBQ's, fireworks, concerts, picnics, along with political ceremonies, pomp and circumstance. We see flags everywhere! This should make us proud to live in the "land of the free, home of the brave." I feel both inspired and forever indebted to the many men and women who have valiantly fought for the freedoms that we can now enjoy. 


Also on this Independence Day, one of the main things I think about is not having to use the stinky port-a-potty. I know, I know... I'm talking about America's history, the Declaration of Independence and our freedoms and......port-a-potties?? Yes, on the 4th of July, I am so happy to have the day off and celebrate America all day long with my family at parades and the city of Philadelphia's "Welcome America" festival. However, during my worst days with Crohn's, if I partook in these activities I was bound to eat at some point....and what goes in must come out. Well those days are over. 


The port-a-potty is no longer my ball and chain. I no longer have to depend on its existence or agonize over its location. I also no longer have to depend on the timely dispense of any medication, or carrying around TPN, or my diseased colon that was wearing me down. 


Ok, so having an ostomy isn't some magical fix to all of these problems. But if I time my meals just right, I can be assured that I can enjoy the day's festivities without a full bag. With Crohn's I ALWAYS felt like I was dependent on one thing or the other, but with an ostomy, I have the freedom to celebrate my independence from sickness, and be totally free to just be me.

Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment